Grand River Chinese School is a non-profit Chinese school serving greater Kitchener-Waterloo (KW) region. Beginning September 2009, most Chinese language courses have been converted to the international language courses managed and funded by the school board (WCDSB).
Grand River Chinese School offers a series of Chinese language courses for school age children, including CFL (Chinese as a Foreign Language) course for students from non-Chinese family backgrounds, 3-year-old Chinese language course, elementary Chinese language courses (JK through Grade 8), secondary Chinese language credit courses (Grades 9 though 12, including a beginnner level credit course).
In addition to Chinese language programs, the school also provide a series of extracurricular interest classes, including
● Fine Arts for Kids ● Watercolor & Acrylic painting ● Sketching ● Chinese painting
● Chinese Folk Dance ● Erhu (a.k.a. Chinese violin) ● Keyboard
● Music and Movement for kids ● Choir and Performing Arts for kids ● Vocal
● Quick Chinese literacy ● English Writing (elementary, secondary, and advanced levels) ● LEGO building
● Abacus and mental arithmetic ● Fun Math ● Olympic Math (in 5 levels) ● Programming
● “Go” ● Chess ● Chinese Kungfu sword routine
Chinese Camps in March Break and summer are another set of feature programs that attracted many students. The camps include courses of Chinese, Math for Fun, Fine Arts, Chinese History, Chinese Geography and Tradition, Craft, and Stories in Chinese, Chinese cooking for kids, etc. The camp also include a rich series of recreational activities such as Chinese Cartoons, games and sports. Students learn while they play.