We match volunteers with newcomers to Canada to help them improve their English skills, especially conversational skills for everyday living in Canada.
The volunteer and newcomer to Canada meet for one to two hours every week for approximately six months at a public place such as a coffee shop, community centre or public library. The goals and conversations are determined by both the Tutor and the Learner.
Becoming a Volunteer
We will train you before and throughout the program. Our volunteers come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Expect questions about living and working in Canada or what to talk about when meeting a child’s teacher, attending a social or community event, or speaking with colleagues at break time, etc.
- Fluent in both written and spoken English
- Minimum of a Secondary School diploma
- Respect towards others of diverse cultures
- Strong listening and interpersonal skills
- Volunteers are required to obtain a Police Vulnerable Sector Check from Waterloo Region Police Services.