We offer specific programs for newcomers aged 14-25 in Kitchener-Waterloo who are interested in an opportunity for leadership development, personal growth and empowerment. We believe that as a community, we can and should listen to the voices of newcomer youth. Through these programs, we help train young people on how to make a positive difference in their communities.
We help expand youth knowledge and enhance understanding of Canadian culture, systems, values, rights and responsibilities.
We are here to empower immigrant youth to make informed choices that are consistent with their values and help them achieve their dreams.
Young Men Leading Change
Young Men Leading Change is a program for young men aged 14-25 focused on empowerment and reducing violence against girls and women.
This is a regular series of peer-led workshops done in collaboration with the Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region. First cohort will take place in September, 2018. Each cohort will run for 8-12 sessions once in a week.Topics of discussion and activities will include:
• Creating a safe space and social events
• Discussion of gender roles
• Masculinity and Self-reflection
• Handling disclosures
• Identifying violence and role playing when witnessing violence
• Challenging blind spots
• Active bystander skills
• Visits from community leaders and survivors of violence.
• Development of personal and/or group action plans
• Youth preferred sports and other activities
For more information please contact Hagos Eman